DICE is bringing back Wake Island! One of the most popular maps to date in Battlefield history. The fan favorite map will launch for free on Thursday, December 12, as part of the latest Tides of War update, Chapter 5: War in the Pacific.
Wake Island made its first appearance at E3 back in 2002, part of a demo from the original game, Battlefield 1942. Since then, the map has appeared in numerous Battlefield games, including Battlefield 1943, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 3 and now, Battlefield V.
Lars Gustavsson, recently discussed the history of Wake Island that can be found here.
The return of Wake Island will let soldiers revisit the iconic map, featuring the same classic layout, but now with updated graphics and sounds from the Battlefield V engine. Wake Island will be playable in both Breakthrough mode and aConquest Assault mode.
Battlefield V developers have compiled a few tips on how to ensure victory on Wake Island, listed below:
- In Breakthrough, attackers get tanks in the first sector, defenders don’t. If you’re attacking, take advantage of this. Also, if you spot defenders hiding in the Hotel, take it down! Defenders can build Fortifications to counter this.
- Attackers can find ways to destroy the Hangar as well. Defenders should set up tank traps as soon as possible to stop the tanks from moving into the Hangar.
- Some of the bunkers can be destroyed, some cannot. Defenders can use the tunnels leading to the bunkers to their advantage by creating a choke point.
- The last sector is the prime target for calling in artillery or rocket Reinforcements. Use them.
- Do not underestimate the small boats! They are fast, nimble, and perfect for flanking.
For more details about the Wake Island map check out the officail blog post here.